Coming up with creative and nutritious meal ideas for suhur can be challenging for some people. Below are 22 suhur meal ideas to prepare you for your healthiest Ramadan yet. These meals all contain a protein, whole grain, fruit and/or vegetable. Remember to hydrate with water and be mindful of caffeinated and sweetened beverages. Focus on quality, not quantity. You can read more about healthy eating during Ramadan and meal planning during Ramadan in my other blog posts.
Suhur Meal Ideas
Egg Based Dishes:
- Scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese in a whole wheat wrap
- Egg mcmuffin sandwich (fried egg with avocado and tomato slices on an English muffin)
- Two boiled eggs with whole wheat toast
- Vegetable omelet with whole wheat toast or hash browns
More Suhur Ideas:
- High fibre cereal with sliced banana and strawberries with 1 cup milk
- Steel cut oats prepared with milk. Add blueberries, almonds, flaxseed
- Fool (fava beans) or dal (lentils) with vegetables, one whole wheat pita bread
- Try “avocado toast”- mash 1 avocado and 1 can chickpeas. Add 2 tbsp cilantro, ½ lemon, dash of salt. Mix together and spread onto toasted bread.
- Hummus with pita bread and vegetable sticks. 1 cup milk and dried dates.
- Tuna salad (mix 1 can tuna, celery, onion, lettuce, and avocado). Spread onto toasted bread.
- Mexican bean salad (1 can black beans, 1 can corn, diced tomato, cilantro, 1 avocado diced, 1 lemon. Add tsp of cumin, chili powder, dash of salt, olive oil). Serve with pita chips.
- Pasta salad (add chickpeas or tuna with cut up vegetables. Mix ½ cup greek yogurt with 2 tbsp mayo and ½ lemon for the dressing).
- 2 whole wheat pancakes with 2 tbsp peanut butter, strawberries, glass of milk.
- Lentil soup, whole wheat crackers, fruit.
- Quinoa salad (cooked quinoa, parsley, tomato, cucumber, carrots, lemon, olive oil, dash of salt). Complete meal with fruit.
- Whole wheat French toast (dip whole wheat bread into a mixture of eggs, milk and cinnamon, then cook bread slices on skillet). Enjoy with berries and 1 glass milk.
- Barley salad (cooked barley, mushroom, spinach, onion, feta and walnuts)
- Whole grain bread with nut butter and bananas
- Make a parfait! Mix Greek yogurt, granola, fruit and nuts
- Try overnight oats (the night before mix ½ c oats, ½ cup yogurt, ½ cup milk, honey and fruit)
- Baked oatmeal dish (Mix oats, eggs, milk, b.powder, fruit and bake)
- Smoothie- blend banana, oats, peanut butter, dates, milk
If you wake up last minute, try a glass of milk with dates and nuts.
If you like or make any of these meals, share with your friends and hashtag on Facebook or Instagram #Olivetreenutrition
Wishing you a blessed Ramadan!